Despite the well known stats on lack of women in tech, and the common perception that we’re just that not interested, many women who have a passion for tech and the potential for success in the tech industry often hold themselves back from pursuing a career in tech. Why? A lack of confidence.
The lack of confidence that women face in tech is not unfounded, nor is it unique to tech. It is a well-known fact that women often face barriers in the workplace and in society in general, which can lead to self-doubt and a lack of confidence in their abilities. However, this is particularly true for women transitioning into tech career.
Tech has a reputation for being male-dominated and intimidating, and the lack of representation of women exacerbates this problem. Women may feel like they don’t belong or that they are not good enough to succeed in tech, which can lead to them holding themselves back from pursuing a tech career.
It is important to recognise that a lack of confidence is not an inherent trait, but more a feeling that can be addressed and overcome.
Here are a few tips to help women overcome their lack of confidence and successfully making a career change into tech:
– Recognise Your Strengths: Women should identify their strengths, skills, and experiences, and use them as a foundation to build their confidence. These strengths can help women understand what they bring to the table and how their unique perspective can contribute to the tech industry.
– Find a Career Coach: Career coaches can be a great source of guidance and support. Women should seek out career coaches with a background in the tech industry who can provide advice and encouragement, and who can help them navigate the industry.
– Work on Your Mindset: Cultivating a resilient mindset and understanding the underlying factors that contributed to the lack of confidence can be a powerful first step towards achieving your career change goals. By addressing these barriers head-on, you can bolster your confidence and develop the determination necessary to pursue your dream career with conviction and purpose. A good career coach should be able to help you with this.
– Build a Support Network: Women should surround themselves with people who believe in them and support their career aspirations. This can include family, friends, colleagues, and other professionals in the tech industry.
– Take Action: Confidence often comes from taking action and proving to yourself that you can succeed. Women should take on new challenges and push themselves out of their comfort zones. This can help build confidence and show women that they are capable of achieving their goals.
By recognising their strengths, seeking out a career coach, building a support network, and taking action, women can overcome their lack of confidence and pursue a fulfilling career in tech. Remember, a lack of confidence is not a reflection of your abilities, but rather a common feeling that can be addressed and overcome. With determination and support, women can successfully make a career change into tech and make a meaningful impact in the industry.
If you are a woman (or you know of one) who feels frustrated in your current job, and wants to build inner confidence to make a career change into tech, book a complimentary discovery call with me to find out how I can help you on your journey to a fulfilling career in tech https://dionnecondor-farrell.com/career-coaching-programme-for-women-into-tech/